To assist with conservation and ensure that communities on the boundary of the National Park benefit from tourism revenues, the Rinjani Trek is managed by a partnership of National Park officials, the public and private sectors of the Lombok tourism industry and community representatives. Community run cooperatives coordinate the Trek at the Rinjani Trek Center (RTC) in Senaru and the Rinjani Information Center (RIC) in Sembalun Lawang. Each has roster system for guides and porters, village tour activities and handicraft sales.
Revenue from tourism activities and entry fees is used for conservation, raining, management and assisting the National Park with maintenance of the Rinjani Trek, thus ensuring sustainability. Overseeing and supporting these activities is the Rinjani Trek Management Board, combining the authority of the central government (National Park) and local government (tourism office), with the voices of Lombok tourisms private sector, and the boundary communities. This institutional model is unique in Indonesia and considered an example for practical implementation of the ideals of ecotourism.
The Rinjani Trek Center can manage the transport to Senaru or Sembalun Lawang. These two village can be reached by private and charter vehicle, or by public bus. From the west, catch a bemo to Anyar, from where bemos travel to Senaru about every 20 minutes until 4 pm. If you are coming from, or going to, eastern Lombok, get off at the junction near Bayan (your driver will know it), from where bemos go to Senaru. To Sembalun Lawang and Sembalun Bumbun, from Kali Putih to the north, a few bemos run along the rough road to both villages, usually only in the morning.
* If you want to go to the top, it might be better to go directly to Sembalun Lawang and start walking from there.
* If you just want to go to the crater rim and into the crater, then you can start from Senaru.
Beside the mountain it self, other things for you to do or see is:
* Caves : One of the three famous caves (Goa Susu, Goa Payung, and Goa Manik), Susu Cave is a good place for self reflection and is often used as a place to meditate.
* Healing Hot Springs : Aiq Kalak means hot water and it is used to cure various deseases. One of the hot springs is named Pangkereman Jembangan which is meant a place for dipping. The water which spurts out of the spring is very hot. People also use the hot spring to make medicine from coconut cream. After dipping a bottle of coconut cream in the hot spring if the liquid becomes clear oily it can be used as medicinal oil. Then the medicinal oil is used for good things and is called Siu Satus Tunggal or in Bayan language Siu Satunggal which means that it can be used to cure a thousand kinds of desease.
* Segara Anak Lake : Segara Anak Lake is so wide it appears like the sea with its blue water. The name Segara Anak means child of the sea. Segara Anak Lake holds various mysteries and invisible power.
* Local Strawberry : This plant grows along the route to Mt. Rinjani. It has thorns like the rose and the fruit is red like strawberry. It has a sweet and slightly sour taste and is good to eat when trekkers are hungry and thirsty.
* Eternal Flower or Edelweis : The plant or the flowers should not be taken because it grows in the park and in the mysterious world of the spirit kingdom. In the past, someone who wanted this flower must be brave enough to fight and gamble his soul. That is why the flower is called Sandar Nyawa. The flower has never wilted and is as old as the mysterious spirits.
* The Peak of Rinjani : The people of Lombok believe that the peak of Mt. Rinjani is where Dewi Anjani, the queen spirit and ruler of Mt. Rinjani lives. To the south-east from the peak in a sea of dust called Segara Muncar is the invisible palace of the queen Dewi Anjani and her followers.
* Mount Baru Jari : Gunung Baru is the name of the new volcano which emerged in the center of Segara Anak Lake. People believe that Gunung Baru is the navel of Mt. Rinjani. That is why if Gunung Baru erupted it will not harm the people of Lombok unless the eruption is from the peak of Mt. Rinjani.
You can spend a night at the cheap hotels around Sembalun and Senaru area with varied price and facilities. It’s also possible to stay in private houses.
Before start trekking, hiking or climbing, be sure that you already eat, or you can bring some food and drink from your places of stay.
On Lombok there is more crafts than art. The main crafts of Lombok are practical items made for everyday use, but showing great skills and finish, traditional techniques and natural, locals materials. You can take Lombok pottery and limestone, traditional hand weaving, wooden mask, boxes, primitive carvings also Lombok pearls as part of your souvenirs.
* The climb is not to be taken lightly! You definitely need good hiking boots. Once you arrive at 2700 m (crater rim) it tends to get cold and windy, so you need warm clothes. Don’t go there during the rainy season since paths will be slippery.
* It’s better to have your own sleeping bags. But, if you don’t have one, they can be hired.
* Tents can be rented.