12 Australian surfers stranded and mass-sprayed in Bali as tourists fight coronavirus

sumba island

Today, Bali authorities have carried out a mass spraying of disinfectant across the tourist areas of the island in a bid to combat coronavirus.

It comes as all schools in Denpasar and Jakarta will close from Monday for two weeks and have put on hold exams in a bid to stop the spread of the virus and as Indonesia reports that one of its government ministers is in the COVID-19 hospital. National examinations were expected to start tomorrow and will now be postponed.

There are also twelve Australians stranded on a Sumba surf boat, with officials refusing to allow them to disembark.

Bali, which derives most of its income from tourism, is now expected to be struck by Australia’s announcement that all overseas travelers will have to self-quarantine 14 days after the flight, as it is likely to see a significant drop in travelers.

The tourism industry has been losing revenue with the ban on all flights to and from China to Bali. China became Bali’s most significant tourist market, followed by Australia, and Australians were relied on by the authorities to continue their travel to boost the economy.

Indonesia locks ports down, 12 Australian surfers stranded off the Sumba coast on a charter boat.

12 Australians surfers stranded off the Sumba coast on a charter boat
12 stranded Aussies | Photo source: 9news.com.au

Twelve surfers from Newcastle, Australia, are in limbo just off the coast of Sumba, east of Bali. Behind a political decision that leaves them unable to disembark from their ships or to return home.

While they were chasing waves in a mobile reception dead zone, local government officials decreed that no aliens could set foot on land in any of their ports for fear of further spreading the moderately lethal virus.

On their return, they found that the world had shut down. Not back to life, not back to reality.

At one point, the dozen were down to the final meal, and the necessary supplies were dangerously low. The skipper would use the last of their fuel to sail to nearby Flores, but there was no guarantee that they could land there either. Some have already lost connecting flights at home (and now face a two-week quarantine for their troubles when they do make it).

“We’ve had a boat come out and talk to us and essentially tell us we can’t get to shore,” one of the surfers, Brydon Roper, said to 9News. “This is a ten-day surf trip, and the guys who’ve been operating this boat have only been carrying food and water for ten days.”

Source from 7news.com.au and beachgrit.com

Leave a Reply